Monday, March 18, 2013

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

In the poem "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost, the protagonist shows remorse about the story he tells his future listeners that he took the road less traveled. He chose his road in life and the fact that he revised his story suggests that he wishes he had lead a more adventurous life.

In the first stanza, the first line "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood" suggests that it is fall (yellow) which is the middle season, that makes me think that the protagonist is a middle aged man, 40 or 50, and is faced with 2 hard decisions that he choose from, or two roads. In the last stanza, the semi-colon at the end the line, "I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence:" shows that what he is saying after the semi-colon, "two roads diverged in a wood, and I-I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference" is what he wishes happened. The sigh makes me think that it is a sigh of wonderance,what if I really did take the other road? Where would I be now?

The protagonist who changed the story of life to make it seem like he lead a more courageous one makes me think deeper about humanity because many people regret the decisions they make and stretch the truth to imagine what it would be like if they had chosen the other path.

No comments:

Post a Comment